Telephone: 01903 746547

Opening hours: Monday - Thursday 10am - 1pm

Sussex Building Control, the local authority building control service for Horsham District Council and Crawley Borough Council, has produced three new guides for homeowners to help with their building work.

These guides are free to pick up from Horsham District Council’s offices at Park North in North Street, Horsham, from local parish council offices, and libraries across the District.

Alternatively, to get a copy of the guides email, call 01403 215151 and quote ref HDNautumn13 or visit the sussex building website.

Finding an architect 
Unless you have a good working knowledge of building construction, the current planning laws and building regulations, you should seek professional advice from an architect before you begin planning your home improvement project.

Do I need planning permission? How so I submit a Building Regulations application? How do I find an architect?

Pick up this new guide to find out more. 

Does my work need building regulations?
Building regulations are a set of standards – put in place by the Government – to ensure that building work is carried out safely and correctly. If you build in accordance with the regulations, your home will be safe and comfortable for your family to live in.

Pick up this new guide to find out more about the work that is and isn’t covered by building regulations – including conservatories, porches, detached garages, carports, sheds and summerhouses.

Finding a builder
Your architect will normally be able to recommend a builder and some may have a preferred list of builders who they use for specific types of work. Always ask for your architect’s advice before starting your research.

This free guide has information on what to do before you begin a project, what to ask your builder before you make a decision and well as other things to consider.